It’s the best month of the year! The month in which love is reinforced.
I know! I know! There are a lot of people who shun Valentine’s Day and all the hoopla that surrounds such a hallmark holiday. But, I like to do quite the opposite. I like to harness it.
Because, what the world needs always, is more LOVE.
I like to bring in more of the love and cherish the beautiful excuse to love myself better, love my people more, love life to the fullest. In January I focus so much of my energy on getting the year started “right”, setting goals, defining those goals and chasing them with an energy that is sure to wane at some point (unless I am intentional), that loving is overshadowed by energy.
February being the second month of the year and the month that focuses so much energy on LOVE and life is a blessing in my world. I have set my intentions for the year and now I get to focus on those, loving the process and the people. It’s a good thing!
Like most people though, I am the last person I think about. Loving myself generally comes as an after thought. Taking loving actions that promote good health, mental and physical well being and positive self-talk and esteem are often just forgotten. I don’t mean to not love myself, I just forget to often.
In this first post of the Hello Love series (there will be one post posted weekly focused on love), I am focusing on loving thyself. Because when we love ourselves we are so much more capable of loving others.
There are so many ways to love thyself. But, first and foremost it is making time for oneself. There is no way you will ensure you are putting yourself first ever unless you schedule it. Life has a way of happening. Happening as it should. But, you are the center of your life and must ensure you are making time for you. Maybe it’s only 15 minutes to meditate. Maybe it’s 2 hours to run 13 miles. Make time to fill your personal cup.
Some other ways to love thyself:
- Be mindful and conscientious. Keep an open heart and an open mind to ensure you are caring for yourself. Oprah famously said once (or a million times), “Doubt means don’t.” I will never forget that quote as it has danced through my mind throughout the years. If it doesn’t feel good, if there is hesitation, if there is doubt; just don’t. Taking care and loving oneself sometimes means simply listening to inner dialogue. Be mindful and open to your own needs. Be conscientious of what you like to do and how you love to feel. Chase what is good for you and don’t pursue what isn’t.
- Do something everyday that reinforces your love for yourself. It goes hand-in-hand with making time. This is the action that makes you feel more loved by, you guessed it, you. Self talk. Dressing in something that makes you feel alive. Listening to your favorite music full blast. Eating that cookie. Taking that run. Resting in a bath. Take an action everyday that reinforces your love for yourself.
- Love others. One of the best ways to feel love is to give love. Give kindness, heart, love, generosity; give all the good vibes away and they will come back to you ten fold. Simple as that. Love fiercely.
- Self care. And there is always the art of self care. Take the walk. Run the mile. Do the yoga pose. Apply the facial. Drink the glass of wine. Take the time to care for yourself. A body treated with love will feel loved.
- Surround yourself with good people. Because we don’t always love ourselves the way we should. We are human after all. By surrounding ourselves with good people (which also means we need to ditch the people who make us feel crummy), we have created our safety net from the world. The place we turn to vent. Where we run when we are hurting. The mirror into our souls. Surround yourself with incredible, loving, good people and you will forever feel loved.
Want more ideas on how to love thyself. Here are some incredible resources.
Here’s to more self love! Happy love month!
(Quote Image: Kayla Kleinman)